Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I got it I got it I got it

Got my copy of Perfumes: The Guide today in the mail. God Bless Amazon! Or rather, God Bless the Amazon distribution warehouse, which I think is, like, 15 miles from my house.

It's over 400 pages, so I haven't *quite* finished reading it yet - A few first impressions:

1. It is fabulous.

2. I don't agree with some of the ratings so far.

3. As far as I can tell, they haven't reviewed a single I Hate Perfumes or Demeter fragrance.

Yes. Also, I have decided that I will try not to read the perfume reviews until I have smelled the perfumes. I've already read most of the reviews of perfumes that I have smelled. Here are a few choice excerpts from reviews of some popular/classic fragrances:

L'Interdit, Givenchy (lactonic floral, TS, four stars): ...much of its pleasure is the thrill of the retro, like watching a perfectly restored old black-and-white film and falling under the spell of that midcentury acting-school accent.

cKOne, Calvin Klein (radiant citrus, LT, four stars): CK One is not so much a perfume as a chemical time machine....The mix in the air is unvarying, and time forever stands still at 8 a.m.: the frozen morning of a day full of promise.

Lovely, Sarah Jessica Parker (cute floral, LT, four stars): ....Naturally, I approached it with the proper furrowed brow of the critic-not-to-be-taken-in-by-nonsense. Five seconds later, I was like Solly in Monsters, Inc., clutching little Boo to his hirsute breast. This is a truly charming floral....Makes you want to buy furry toys.

Dang, I was going to do my taxes tonight.

3 comments:

Helen said...

"The frozen morning of a day full of promise" - whether you agree with the review or not, great turn of phrases like these are an inspiration and a joy on their own! Can't wait for this precious book to arrive - and looks like no taxes will be done at your place tonight....

becky said...

Oh, shit, taxes, I gotta do that! That's a cool idear, to sniff before readin' the reviews. I remember my advisor at Dartmouth said that people who're into wine-tasting REFUSED to taste wine without knowing how much it cost. I guess they were insecure about going with their sense of taste rather than relying on some objective, external piece o' data to tell them it's good. Okay, this is getting long.

Christy said...

Yeah, I had heard that about the wine drinkers. I am still trying to muster up enough gumption to write a review of the Paris Hilton perfume, which is, um, one of my favorites, yikes. It got a pretty bad review in the Perfume Guide.